Not even watermelon is safe from the pickling fanaticism. But try this sweet-salty-spicy-garlicky version and tell us it isn't genius!
- 2 lb watermelon
- 1 bunch dill
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1-2 jalapeños sliced
- 6-8 cups water (enough to cover the watermelon)
- 1/4 c salt
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp peppercorns
- Pick a non-reactive (glass or ceramic) container. Slice the watermelon into reasonable pieces that you can fit into your container.
- Add dill, garlic, and jalapeños to the bottom of the container, then place watermelon slices on top.
- Simmer water with salt, sugar, vinegar, and peppercorns. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Pour liquid over watermelon.
- Let cool then refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Waiting for 3 to 4 days is better.