Kompot from Fresh Apples or Pears
Russian kompot is not a dessert of fruit cooked in sugary syrup, but a refreshing fruit drink prepared often in most Eastern European households. There are as many ways to prepare it as there are families, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
- 3 apples or pears cored and cut into 6 to 8 parts
- 1 to 2 tbsps sugar (depending on how sweet the fruit is)
- 1 quart water
- 1 pinch cinnamon optional
- 1 pinch lemon zest optional
- Put fruits in a pot, add sugar and water and stir. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, add cinnamon and/or lemon zest and mix well. Cover and let cool.
- When kompot is cool, strain it through a cheesecloth or sieve. Serve room temperature or cool.